Showing posts with label U.S. Troops. Show all posts
Showing posts with label U.S. Troops. Show all posts

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Obama To Send War Powers Request To Congress

By David Espo and Nedra Pickler, Feb. 10, 2015, Associated Press

The White House circulated a proposal Tuesday to authorize the Pentagon to fight Islamic State terrorists without an "enduring offensive combat" role, an ambiguous phrase designed to satisfy lawmakers with widely varying views on the need for U.S. ground operations.

Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N.J, describing the proposal to reporters, said President Barack Obama would seek an authorization for the use of force that would expire after three years. It would end the approval for operations in Iraq that Congress passed in 2002.

Menendez spoke after he and other Democratic senators met privately with top White House aides, on the eve of an anticipated formal request for legislation from the president.

"Hopefully there will not be a significant delay in Congress acting," said White House press secretary Josh Earnest.


Read the full story:  www.abcnews.go.com

Follow Larry Elder on Twitter
"Like" Larry Elder on Facebook

Monday, December 29, 2014

The U.S. And Iran Are Aligned In Iraq Against The Islamic State--For Now

Missy Ryan and Loveday Morris, Dec. 27, 2014, Washington Post

At the same time, Iraq’s Shiite-led government is increasingly reliant on the powerful militias and a massive Shiite volunteer force, which together may now equal the size of Iraq’s security forces.

Although the Obama administration says it is not coordinating directly with Iran, the two nations’ arms-length alliance against the Islamic State is an uncomfortable reality. That’s not only because some of the militia shock troops who have proved effective in fighting the Islamic State battled U.S. forces during the 2003-2011 war there, but also because, in Syria, Iran continues to support President Bashar al-Assad, whom the United States would like to see toppled.

Read more: www.washingtonpost.com


Follow Larry Elder on Twitter
"Like" Larry Elder on Facebook

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Uproar Over US troops' Ebola Quarantine In Italy

U.S. troops at the Vicenza base. 
Photo: Edward Braly/HO US Army/AFP
By AFP, Oct. 29, 2014, Thelocal.it

The decision to put a dozen American soldiers returning from Liberia into quarantine for Ebola at their base near Venice rather than in the United States sparked controversy in Italy on Wednesday.

"They shouldn't have been sent here, they should do their quarantine for Ebola at home," said the president of the region's assembly, Luca Zaia, insisting "it would have been more respectful" of the United States to have "thought about the risks posed to local citizens".

The Messaggero daily spoke of fears among the local population, with a rise in the number of calls to the emergency services from worried citizens.

Soldiers from the base being given a wide berth in nearby pubs.

Zaia, a member of the anti-immigrant Northern League party, was not the only one to object to the US decision to quarantine the soldiers in Italy.

"The government must send all the US soldiers back to Washington," the anti-establishment Five Star party said, according to media reports.

Read the full story:  
www.thelocal.it

Follow Larry Elder on Twitter
"Like" Larry Elder on Facebook
Hagel Considering Ebola Quarantine For All Troops Deployed To West Africa

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel 
Kristina Wong, Oct. 28, 2014, The Hill

Defense Secretary Hagel is considering a 21-day "quarantine-like" policy for all troops returning from West Africa, the Pentagon said Tuesday.

The proposal was recommended to Hagel on Tuesday by the Joint Chiefs of Staff — which consists of its chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey and the chiefs of staff of the Army, Navy and Air Force.
Earlier this week, the Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno ordered all soldiers returning from West Africa to undergo a 21-day isolation and enhanced monitoring period.

Odierno "has done this out of caution to ensure soldiers, family members and their surrounding communities are confident that we are taking all steps necessary to protect their health," the Army said Monday.

Read more: www.thehill.com


Follow Larry Elder on Twitter
"Like" Larry Elder on Facebook

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Fog of Ebola War: White House Stance Unclear As Military Leaders Urge US Troop Quarantine

By Fox News, Oct. 27, 2014, Foxnews.com

The White House would not say Monday whether President Obama thinks U.S. troops returning from the Ebola hot zone in West Africa should be quarantined, as the U.S. Army unilaterally imposed that policy on its own troops and the Joint Chiefs of Staff recommended the rest of the military follow suit.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel currently is considering the Joint Chiefs' recommendation to impose a mandatory 21-day quarantine for all returning troops. At Monday's daily briefing, White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest acknowledged that Hagel might coordinate with the White House on that decision.

But when pressed by Fox News on what the president's position is, Earnest would not say.

"We will let the Department of Defense make an announcement," Earnest said. Asked how the U.S. could send troops to West Africa without a clear plan on procedures for leaving the Ebola battlefield, Earnest said: "We're going to let science drive that process."

The comments reflected the latest area of confusion in the ever-evolving U.S. response to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Over the weekend, the White House put pressure on New Jersey and New York over policies quarantining returning health care workers. But it remains unclear where the White House -- and Hagel himself -- stands on applying that standard to returning U.S. service members.


Read the full story:  www.foxnews.com

Follow Larry Elder on Twitter
"Like" Larry Elder on Facebook

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Panetta Unloads On White House For Pulling US Iraq Troops Out

Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta / AP

Source:  www.politico.com
By Fox News, Oct. 2, 2014, Foxnews.com

Former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta is lashing out at President Obama’s inner circle for failing to secure a 2011 deal to leave U.S. troops in Iraq, effectively accusing the White House of sabotaging the talks – in turn, opening the door for the region to become a haven for the Islamic State.

Panetta, who served as CIA director and then Defense secretary during those negotiations, aired his complaints in his forthcoming memoir, “Worthy Fights.” Excerpts on the Baghdad talks were published by Time.

In them, Panetta explained that Iraqi leaders privately wanted some U.S. forces to stay behind after the formal 2011 withdrawal, though they would not say so publicly. The former secretary, though, said the U.S. had “leverage” to strike a deal, and the Defense and State departments tried to do exactly that.

“But,” he wrote, “the President’s team at the White House pushed back, and the differences occasionally became heated. … and those on our side viewed the White House as so eager to rid itself of Iraq that it was willing to withdraw rather than lock in arrangements that would preserve our influence and interests.”


Read the full story:  www.foxnews.com

Follow Larry Elder on Twitter
"Like" Larry Elder on Facebook

Monday, September 29, 2014

WSJ: Poll Shows Americans Expect U.S. To Send Troops To Fight Islamic State

By Reid Epstein, Sept. 28, 2014, WJS.com

Nearly three-quarters of Americans don’t believe President Barack Obama’s assertion that the country won’t use ground troops to fight the militant group Islamic State in Iraq or Syria, the latest Wall Street Journal/NBC News/Annenberg survey finds.

The poll shows a substantial lack of trust in Mr. Obama’s repeated assertions that American military efforts will be limited to airstrikes and other efforts that don’t include ground troops. Some 72% of registered voters surveyed said U.S. ground troops eventually will be deployed against Islamic State’s fighters. Only 20% said they believe the U.S. won’t end up using military ground forces.

The Obama administration has cautioned that the battle against Islamic State won’t be won quickly. It has said it will proceed with an international coalition and that the U.S. won’t commit ground troops to combat.

“I want to be clear: The American forces that have been deployed to Iraq do not and won’t have a combat mission,” Mr. Obama said Sept. 17. “As your commander in chief, I won’t commit you and the rest of our armed forces to fighting another ground war in Iraq.”


Read the full story:  www.blogs.wsj.com

Follow Larry Elder on Twitter
"Like" Larry Elder on Facebook

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Credit:  U.S. Army
By David Jackson, Jun. 30, 2014, Usatoday.com

President Obama told Congress on Monday that he is deploying about 200 more troops to Iraq to bolster security at the U.S. Embassy and airport in Baghdad.

These and previously announced forces are being sent "for the purpose of protecting U.S. citizens and property, if necessary, and (are) equipped for combat," Obama said in a letter to Congress required under the U.S. War Powers Resolution.

Earlier this month, Obama announced the deployment of 275 troops to protect the embassy.

In addition to security, these troops will provide "intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance support," Obama said.

The president is also in the process of sending up to 300 military advisers to assist Iraq as it battles an invading army of jihadists that has taken over major cities and threatens the capital in Baghdad.

Obama said forces "will remain in Iraq until the security situation becomes such that it is no longer needed."

Read the full story:  www.usatoday.com


Follow Larry Elder on Twitter
"Like" Larry Elder on Facebook

Sunday, June 15, 2014

By Kathleen Hennessey and Liz Sly, Aug. 3, 2010, The Los Angeles Times

Reporting from Atlanta and Baghdad — President Obama affirmed Monday that U.S. combat troops would leave Iraq by the end of August — "as promised and on schedule" — in a speech aimed at highlighting a foreign policy bright spot and rebuilding support for the struggling mission in Afghanistan.

"Make no mistake: Our commitment in Iraq is changing — from a military effort led by our troops to a civilian effort led by our diplomats," Obama told a group of disabled veterans in Atlanta.

There are currently 65,000 troops in Iraq. The president gave assurances that the U.S. force would drop to 50,000 by the end of the month — a reduction of 94,000 since he took office 18 1/2 months ago. The remaining troops will form a transitional force until a final U.S. withdrawal from the country at the end of 2011, he said.

During his campaign, Obama pledged to bring a swift and orderly end to a war he said he would not have waged, but the departure has not been as quick as he had initially promised. Shortly after taking office, the president revised a 16-month withdrawal timeframe and set the Aug. 31 deadline.

U.S. officials say the withdrawal will make little practical difference in Iraq. It is rare these days to see a U.S. military vehicle on the streets — and even the withdrawal is taking place stealthily, at night.

Many Iraqis who might otherwise have welcomed the drawdown as a step toward sovereignty are instead apprehensive. Political tensions are rising among the country's divided factions, and the insurgency has not yet been defeated.

Still, for a White House beleaguered on other fronts — from the Gulf of Mexico oil spill to increasing violence in Afghanistan — Iraq is seen as a success story the administration intends to tell. Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and other administration officials will emphasize progress in Iraq in a series of speeches in the coming weeks, the White House said.

On Monday, Obama addressed a convention of the Disabled American Veterans before speaking at a high-dollar fundraiser for the Democratic National Committee.

Read the full story:  www.articles.latimes.com


Follow Larry Elder on Twitter
"Like" Larry Elder on Facebook

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Via www.clarionproject.org
Ryan Mauro, MY 26, 2014, Clarionproject.com

Virtually all Americans come together on Memorial Day to honor those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for the country’s freedom and safety. Two Council on American-Islamic Relations’ officials spent the holiday weekend differently: Questioning whether U.S. troops deserve to be honored and tweeting that the country was “established upon white supremacy.”

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), a group labeled by the Justice Department as a U.S. Muslim Brotherhood entity andunindicted co-conspirator in a terrorism-financing trial, disingenuously claims that it is a moderate organization.

Yet, on May 23, Zahra Billoo, the radical executive-director of CAIR’s San Francisco Bay Area chapter, tweeted that she “struggles with Memorial Day each year” about whether to honor American soldiers who died in wars: …


Read the full story:  www.clarionproject.org

Follow Larry Elder on Twitter
"Like" Larry Elder on Facebook

Saturday, April 26, 2014


Follow Larry Elder on Twitter
"Like" Larry Elder on Facebook