Showing posts with label Boko Haram. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Boko Haram. Show all posts

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Boko Haram Leader Abubakar Shekau Pledges Allegiance to ISIS in New Audio 

By NBC News, Mar. 7, 2015

The Nigerian militant group Boko Haram has pledged official allegiance to ISIS, according to an audio statement released online Saturday. In the audio, a man claiming to be Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau appears to address ISIS leader Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi, and also calls on Muslims throughout the world to declare a similar loyalty.

The message, posted via Boko Haram social media accounts, was confirmed by Flashpoint Intelligence, a global security firm and NBC News consultant. According to Flashpoint, the audio confirms what many analysts have said would happen: a bridging between Boko Haram and ISIS. Boko Haram is also following ISIS's trend of releasing messages online and mimicking the terror network's propaganda.

ISIS has not yet responded. Laith Alkhouri, director of MENA research and analysis at Flashpoint, said it is likely the terror group would accept Boko Haram's apparent proposal. The message by Boko Haram was in the same format as messages released by other groups that have pledged to fight under ISIS's black flag, and in those cases ISIS has accepted, he said.


Read the full story:  www.nbcnews.com

Follow Larry Elder on Twitter
"Like" Larry Elder on Facebook

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Boko Haram Controls As Much Land As Does ISIS 

By David Blair, Jan 10, 2015, Telegraph.co.uk

After days of razing villages and pitiless massacre, Boko Haram finished the week with its most chilling atrocity.  As people bustled through the Saturday market in the Nigerian city of Maiduguri, a device borne by a ten year-old girl exploded near the entrance.

A witness said the girl probably had no idea that a bomb had been strapped to her body.  The explosion just before lunch killed 20, including the girl, and injured 18, according to the police.

Boko Haram did not immediately claim the attack, but the Islamic insurgents have increasingly used young girls as human bombs as they carve an African “Caliphate” from the plains of northern Nigeria.

Today, Boko Haram controls about 20,000 square miles of territory - an area the size of Belgium.

Within this domain, the black flag of jihad flies over scores of towns and villages scattered across the neighbouring states of Borno and Yobe.


Read the full story:  www.telegraph.co.uk

Follow Larry Elder on Twitter
"Like" Larry Elder on Facebook

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Remember #BringBackOurGirls? This Is What Has Happened In The 5 Months Since

By Charlotte Alfred, Sept. 14, 2014

On the night of April 14, 2014, hundreds of schoolgirls at the Chibok boarding school in northeastern Nigeria awoke to the sound of gunfire. They saw men in camouflage approaching and thought soldiers were coming to save them from a militant attack, according to survivors' accounts.

Instead, more than 270 of the schoolgirls found themselves in the clutches of the Islamist militant group Boko Haram. Their abduction sparked global outrage and a huge campaign calling for their rescue, partly propelled by the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls.

Sunday marks five months since the girls were kidnapped. Here's what has happened since.

Not one student has been rescued

In the first days after the abduction, 57 of the girls managed to escape from their captors. But not one has escaped or been rescued since then.


Even though they were reportedly located months ago

In May, a Nigerian military official claimed he knew where the girls were being held. A month later, U.S. surveillance planes also spotted a group that officials believed to be the girls.

Stephen Davis, an Australian cleric and mediator, said in June that a deal to free the girls had fallen apart three different times in one month. He says that powerful people with "vested interests" are working to sabotage a deal, and he has accused Nigerian politicians of funding Boko Haram. Nigeria's government has defended its approach to the crisis and warned that a rescue effort might risk the girls' lives.

Other countries have made little progress

According to the Associated Press, it took more than two weeks for Nigeria to accept offers of international assistance to find the schoolgirls.

When other countries did start to help, they didn't get very far. The U.S. sent 80 troops in late May to coordinate an aerial search from neighboring Chad. Canada, France, Israel and the U.K. also sent special forces to Nigeria. But six weeks later, the Pentagon press secretary announced that the U.S. mission would be scaled back, saying: "We don't have any better idea today than we did before about where these girls are."

The troops are still in Chad and the U.S. has surveillance and reconnaissance flightslooking for the girls each week. U.S. officials have expressed concern about sharing intelligence on Boko Haram given the Nigerian military's poor human rights record.

Read the full story:  www.huffingtonpost.com

Follow Larry Elder on Twitter
"Like" Larry Elder on Facebook

Monday, September 8, 2014

A Message To President Obama From A Former Muslim


Follow Larry Elder on Twitter
"Like" Larry Elder on Facebook

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Nigeria: Islamic Jihadists Behead Six-Year-Old Boy Because He Was Christian

By Robert Spencer, Aug. 31, 2014, Jihadwatch.org

“When you meet the unbelievers, strike the necks…” (Qur’an 47:4)

This reads like the story of a Roman martyr from the second century: “Boko Haram beheaded six-year-old Christian boy, group reports,” Christian Today, August 28, 2014 (thanks toThe Religion of Peace):

It was revealed this week that Nigerian terrorist group Boko Haram beheaded a six-year-old boy on June 1 because he was a Christian.

The attack occurred in Attagara, Gwoza district, Borno State – a predominately Christian community, according to Voice of the Martyrs.

Over 100 militants descended upon the village, slaughtering men, women, and children.

Boko Haram has kidnapped and killed Christians and Shiite Muslims across Borno and Yobe States in an increasingly deadly campaign to establish an extremist, Sunni Muslim reign.

The assault on Attagara occurred as Sunday church services were beginning, according to Voice of the Martyrs (VOM). Boko Haram slashed the villagers with machetes, and fired upon them with assault weapons.

One villager, Sawaltha Wandala, was arriving at church for the second service when he saw children being massacred. One six-year-old boy had been slashed and thrown into a ditch, but he was alive. Wandala picked him up and was carrying him to a hospital in Cameroon, when he was stopped by five of the militants.


Read the full story:  www.jihadwatch.org

Follow Larry Elder on Twitter
"Like" Larry Elder on Facebook